Being an author is being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Terri Guillemets

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Truth


“All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”   Ernest Hemingway

 Even in fiction there is truth.  The truth of your characters, the truth of you message, the truth of yourself.  Truth is really the hardest part of writing.  And the difference between something really good that appeals to the audience and something that really isn't good.  And really isn't good only appeals to those that love you and don't have the heart to tell you it really isn't good.  In my opinion, and apparently that of Hemingway as well, truth is imperative to writing.  If your characters can't believe it, if you can't believe it then how do can the reader believe it?

Truth.  Writing is hard work.  At least that is what I tell myself all the time.  It's hard to find the time to write.  Sometimes it's hard to convince the words to form on the screen.  Sometimes it's hard to really pin down your characters and keep them on track of what I think their story is.  I've had two different stories where the characters refused to even give me their names until partway into the story.  Sometimes the characters have a different story to tell than what I think it is and that's hard!  But the truth really is that when the words are there and the character is in the right frame of mind then writing is easy.  Because the words just appear.  Then the hardest part is not making a typo~  So perhaps that's not the truest sentence I can write.

Truth.  Writing something really good is hard.  It's hard to find my character's voice and separate it from my own.  Perhaps the second sentence is truer than the first.  It's hard to develop a relationship with my character to the extent that I know their story inside and out.  It's hard to separate myself from their story and not bleed together our stories into one.  It's vital though as my story cannot be their story, unless it's an autobiography anyway.  My story cannot overshadow their story but they also cannot be separate.  I cannot tell a story that I cannot believe as the character's truth.  I have to believe it to write it.  And sometimes believing in my character and trusting them to tell me the truth is hard.  I think that sentence is a little more true but it needs some work.

The truth is that there is more than one truth and each and every one can be disputed by someone else.  I could write something that feels true over and over and then find the loopholes for why it's not the truest sentence.  The thing is, whether you are writing a journal or blog or novel, it all comes down to one thing.  The truth in that moment.  Whether that be your truth or your characters truth.  It has to be true in that moment.  That truth can change.  There's no growth without change. There's no climax, no development, no growth without it.  So be true in the moment.  And be prepared to change that truth.  You can't go back so don't delete that truth (unless editing is necessary for continunity sake of course).  Work with the truth then, now and the future.  Truth is like life, it changes with experiences, knowledge, and growth.  Now that is probably the truest sentence in this whole thing.

Your turn...what is the truest sentence that you know?  And I promise not to pick it apart :S

No comments:

Post a Comment